I know what I was going to bring up, Jack. I picked up some of the analysis from Jensen over on EW.com and it got the wheels in my head spinning this morning while I was watching Hailey this morning. I found the Jack story to be really interesting.
The problem with Jack that has "infected" him for the past 6 seasons on this show is living in the shadow of his father, his dad even saying, "You don't have what it takes." And it struck me an episode a two or go when I made the comment, "I am Jack's wasted life." that the problem with Jack being a hero was that he was trying to be a hero. Being a hero or a leader isn't something that you try to do, you just are or your not, it's as simple as that. Jack deep down is a leader but when he tries to be he ends up more looking like a douche and the character that we all started to hate over the years, including me, but last night struck me that as he said it, "he was broken." After trying so hard to be what he thought he was supposed to be, what he thought he needed to be he finally came to the realization that he wasn't any of those things he was trying to be, thus he was broken. But, to paraphrase Socrates, "It's only after realizing that you know nothing are you free to learn anything." something like that, you got an Internet, you go look it up =) Or the line in, hey look Fight Club again. "It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything."
Jack is now at a starting point, his ideas of who he is have been completely shattered, he's no longer trying to be something, he's just being something. Which goes back to his story with David, in the history that we don't get to see with David, he is that parent that pushes his son to be something great, to which David backs away because he doesn't want the pressure of trying to be something great, imposed on him by his father. Jack was always trying to prove to his father how great he could be, but never got the fact that it didn't matter, the only person that you have to prove that to is the man in the mirror, did you notice that Jack saw his own reflection in the mirror like 5 or 6 times this episode. Getting back to my point, with his mothers help Jack realized that he was playing out the same relationship with David that he had with his father, not intentionally, but because he was just trying to be some image a father. In the end he just told Dad that he wanted to be his father and he didn't care what David did, he just wanted to be a part of it.
To me all of this means that Jack has changed on the island and based on who he is off the island he is capable of making that change. On the island he just doesn't care anymore, much like Sawyer, but in the end I think he will, which is why Jacob provoked him at the lighthouse. For once while being cryptic Jacob actually seemed to give a straight answer, he needed to get Jack away from the temple. Jack is Jacob's last hope, a shining beacon amongst a sea of failed people (like that, beacon = lighthouse, failed people = all the names crossed out on the lighthouse wheel). if we believe that Jack is ultimately a good guy, then that would mean that Jacob has to be a good guy. But why does a guy that might actually be good, go around screwing with people's lives that otherwise would have been pretty decent? I guess we'll see.
Oh and after watching the episode this song has been ringing in my head, Sorrow by Bad Religion.
Father can you hear me?
How have I let you down?
I curse the day that I was born.
And all the sorrow in this world.
Let me take you to the herding ground
Where all good men are trampled down
Just to settle a bet that could not be won
Between a prideful father and his son
Will you guide me now for I can't see
A reason for this suffering and this long misery
What if every living soul could be upright and strong?
Well then I do imagine
There will be sorrow
Yeah there will be sorrow
And there will be sorrow no more
When all soldiers lay their weapons down
Or when all kings and queens relinquish their crowns
Or when the only true messiah resucues us from ourselves
It's easy to imagine
There will be sorrow...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment