Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lost - Ok I'm cheating this week

So I have to apologize for last week, there was just too much going on before heading out to Vegas and honestly there was just too much in that last episode that I could wrap my head around. After taking a week to think about it, yes I really do spend all week thinking about the show (except while I was in Vegas) and (yes I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself next week) I found a couple things that I thought were interesting through my use of this interesting invention known as the Internet. First off let me say that I will be stealing a little bit today, usually I try to get my write up done before reading anything so that it's just what I think the show was, but after this week I've read a bit of info so I'm integrating that into what I think, and much like the writers of the show, making it up as I go along...

So let me say that if you don't already, go read the articles by Doc Jensen at EW.com, while some of his stuff early this season was out in left field I think that he's zeroing in on a very good theory for the show and how it could end. At this point some of what I say will be mine, some will be from Mr. Jensen but I don't know where those lines are going to cross so no one at EW sue me for plagiarism, I'm just having fun here...

In the article Jensen says that the premise of the show has been Jacob's lifelong struggle to prove that humans aren't the savages that his mother claimed they were. To that effect he brings people there to allow them to become better than they were off the island and to redeem themselves, as Jacob told Richard, "It's a clean slate", or "Tabla Rasa" one of the titles to one of the early episodes in season 1. In that same conversation Richard made Jacob understand that people needed guidance and as such Jacob gave him a job and let him have something in return. Richard couldn't have his wife back, Jacob wouldn't absolve him of his sins, but in the end he did grant him everlasting life. If you remember back in that episode the priest that saw Richard before he was supposed to be executed said that he needed to do penance for the murder, but that there wasn't enough time. On the island, Richard was given that time to do the penance for his sins. Now why does this matter... Jacob killed his brother, it was kind of by accident, kind of not, and his brother died in my opinion from a bump on the head from a rock. Now how did the doctor that Richard killed die? Oh yeah a bump on the head from the table, but honestly I think that is coincidence. I'm thinking that Jacob knows that he can't have his brother back, although the island wants to show him his brother (I'll get to that in a minute) and he knows that no one is going to absolve him of the sin of killing his brother, in the end though he did get something similar to Richard in that he had eternity to repay for his sins on the island, doing his penance.

This next bit is a little bit of speculation. So after last weeks show I went and re watched some of the Richard episode because of the conversation that they had on the beach where Jacob offered him a cup of wine, much like how Jacob's mother offered him some wine to take over as the protector of the island. In the episode Richard is never seen drinking the wine, but I'm going to assume that he did, I mean it would have been odd to not have drank the wine, I mean the guy had been locked up in the underbelly of a slave ship, I'd have to think that a glass of wine would taste pretty darn good at that point. That being said I'll assume that Richard did drink the wine, much like Jacob, Richard can't die, much like Jacob (I'll get to the fact that he did die in a minute) and Richard needed to serve penance much like Jacob as well. My guess is that Richard is the real heir to the island throne. Even in the end of that episode Jacob gives Smokey the bottle of wine, the same bottle that his mother had. I'm guessing that keeping a bottle in one piece over 2000 years and full for that period of time isn't a coincidence, not to mention that they replayed that episode two weeks ago. What is the first thing that Smokey did, broke the bottle, at the time the symbolism was that he was going to break out, I'm thinking that it was symbolic in that the wine was no longer needed, a new protector had already been chosen and that was Richard. Again look at the angst that Richard had earlier this season, he said himself that he did everything in the belief that a man (Jacob) was going to tell him what the purpose was in the end, but with his death he lost some of that faith. Flash to Jacob, his mother kept him in the dark and in the end died without really telling him anything beyond what Jacob told Richard. All of this of course in the end means that when Jacob allowed himself to be killed by Ben, and after the way he fought off Richard he could have easily defended himself from Ben, the guy that has been beaten up by everyone on the island, because Richard was already the protector, but the "Long-con" was that he was still the guy and Smokey didn't know it.

In the Jensen article he brought up that there was a small light in everyone, the same light that can be found on the island, I have a theory to this. What if that is the reason for bringing everyone together on the island to pool that light together into a single person so that they could become the protector, sounds a little strange but bare with me here. Each person comes to the island holds a small piece of the overall light but they don't know it. The light itself is trapped inside them and in pretty much all cases the person that it resides in is flawed, and as we've also seen on the show the moment that you find redemption is usually the moment that you get die. Now if you will, allow me to blow your mind...

What if when Jacob tossed his brother into the light cave the light within the cave escaped and was spread all over the world, Jacob's mission for the last 2000 years has been to repair the mistake that he did, his own redemption. He built the lighthouse in order to find where the light had gone to the 360 degrees around the world where the light resided in an individual at each location in time and space. They come to the island and have to redeem themselves before the island is through with them, and then they can die, setting free that light back to where it belongs within the cave. But that doesn't sound like a very fair deal to me does it, and that is where the sideways world comes in, the sideways world is what you get for sacrificing yourself be returning the light back to the cave, meaning I think that they are all going to die, but it will be ok because they will maintain what they learned from the island world to incorporate that into their sideways lives. Jacob is cleaning up his mess and the castaways are a part of that mess. And for that I offer you two examples from the past that tie into that theory, "Live together, die alone" and "You are Everybody". Each meaning that every individual on the show is greater than themselves. The song, each of them is a part of that light that is within everyone.

As Micheal told us, "He couldn't move on" the ghosts on the island were stuck there on the island. To me I look at the ghosts as what is left over after a person has been redeemed, they can't move on to the next plane of existence because the way to get there has been destroyed, or blocked or whatever you want to call it. Smokey is in essence death, he is what brings the spirits to the next level and since Jacob let him out of that cave he hasn't been doing his job. Souls are trapped on the island, in what I guess you could consider hell. Jacob is in charge of protecting the light and repairing what he did, and also keeping Smokey on the island so that he can do his job again once the light has been repaired. Smokey is fairly accurate in saying that Jacob is the devil, he is responsible for holding every one's souls trapped on the island, but in the end he's doing it for them. Because once Smokey is put back, they will all be able to move on, and they still will have their lives in the sideways world.

Anyway a little something to work with for tonight when I'm sure I'll be proven wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment